The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards Issues Call for Submissions
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards is pleased to welcome submissions for 2017.
The 2017 awards program will accept submissions of books on Jewish subjects or with significant Jewish content published between April 1, 2016 and April 30, 2017. The submission deadline is May 31, 2017.
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards celebrates excellence in Canadian writing on Jewish themes and subjects.
Now established as a cornerstone of Jewish culture in Canada, the Canadian Jewish Literary Awards acknowledges the outstanding achievements of the winning authors with significant cash prizes and public recognition.
Some of the books honoured by the Canadian Jewish Literary Awards in previous years have gone on to receive other major awards, including a Governor General's Literary Award and a National Jewish Book Award.
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards Jury is made up of prominent writers, editors and scholars committed to celebrating the vibrancy and importance of Jewish literature and culture in Canada:
- Edward Trapunski, Co-chair, the author of three books and the winner of an ACTRA Award as best writer. Michael Posner, Co-chair, award-winning author and playwright and former reporter for the Globe and Mail.
- Judith Ghert, member of the board of the Ontario Jewish Archives and member of the Jewish Genealogy Society of Canada.
- Alain Goldschlager, director of the Holocaust Literature Research Institute and Professor of French at Western University, and former Chair of The National Task Force for Holocaust Education, Remembrance and Research.
- Andrea Knight, as co-publisher, helped launch the New Jewish Press publishing program of the Anne Tanenbaum Centre for Jewish Studies at the University of Toronto. She is the former managing editor of the Azrieli Series of Holocaust Survivor Memoirs and has twenty-five years' experience as an editor and publisher.
There are two new members of the Jury for 2017:
- Carl S. Ehrlich: Director of the Koschitzky Centre for Jewish Studies and Professor of Hebrew Bible in the Department of Humanities at York University.
- Adam Sol: Author of four collections of poetry and fiction, scholarly essays, and reviews for a variety of publications. Most recently he started a blog called How a Poem Moves
Members of the public are invited to the gala Canadian Jewish Literary Awards ceremony on October 15, 2017 at 2 p.m. in the Tribute Communities Recital Hall at York University. Admission is free. Refreshments will be served.
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards is supported by the Israel and Golda Koschitzky Centre for Jewish Studies at York University in Toronto, the Holocaust Literature Research Institute at Western University in London, Ontario, as well as Jewish Studies programs at other Canadian universities.
For further information, visit the Canadian Jewish Literary Awards website at cjlawards.ca.