Submissions are open for the 2019 Canadian Jewish Literary Awards
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards invite you to submit any books on a Jewish theme or topic. The author must be Canadian but need not be Jewish.
The Awards celebrate excellence in Canadian writing on Jewish themes and subjects. They recognize the outstanding achievements of the winning authors with significant cash prizes and public recognition.
We will accept books published between May 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019. The submission deadline is April 30, 2019. Books published between May 1, 2019 and May 31, 2019 can be submitted until May 31, 2019.
The awards will be presented at a gala ceremony at York University on October 27, 2019.
- Books written on subjects with Jewish themes or with significant Jewish content
- Books written by Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Books written in English or French
- Books published between May 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019
- Books with a 13 digit ISBN, including ebooks
- Books with Jewish content written by non-Jewish authors are eligible
- Graphic books are eligible
- Previously submitted titles, new translations (except from Yiddish) and reissues are not eligible.
Fiction: novels and short story collections with Jewish content.
Scholarship: books of original research that contribute to Jewish knowledge.
Biography/Memoir: autobiography, personal memoir or family history. The subject must have relevance to the Jewish experience.
History: non-fiction works about the Jewish historical experience.
Youth Literature: books and picture books on a Jewish theme for children or young adults.
Poetry: books of verse including significant Jewish content.
Holocaust Literature: books concerning the Holocaust including autobiographies, memoirs, academic studies, history and fiction.
Jewish Thought & Culture: non-fiction works illuminating Jewish thinking, culture, and the Jewish experience.
Yiddish: books in Yiddish or about Yiddish culture; translations from Yiddish (fiction or non-fiction) also considered.
The Jury may choose award categories at its discretion, and may elect to forgo awarding a prize in any category if it determines that there is no prize-worthy publication in that category in a given year.
Visit our website at www.cjlawards.ca Please direct any inquiries to: email@example.com, or by phone to Edward Trapunski, Chair The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards 416-720-4700